This is a recipe that is usually made with chicken. We make it with both rabbit and chicken here on the homestead. Both ways are amazing! This recipe is for two pot pies so cut it in half if you only want one. Check out the freeze option at the bottom of the recipe before deciding to only make one.
Here is what you will need:
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked rabbit meat (or chicken)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 2 packages (14.1 oz each) refrigerated pie pastry
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cook covered for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook/stir until tender.
- Add flour, salt, thyme, and pepper until well blended.
- Gradually stir in broth and milk.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in rabbit, peas, corn, green beans, and potato then remove from heat.
- Unroll a pastry sheet into each 9 inch pie plate.
- Add rabbit mixture evenly into each pie.
- Unroll remaining pastry and place on top.
- Pinch edges together to seal the pastry.
- Cut slits in the top of each pie to vent.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
- Place a baking sheet under the pie plates to catch any contents that may leak out.
- Freeze one for later. Instead of baking both pies, take one of the unbaked pies, cover it and freeze it. When you want to make it, take it out of the freezer 30 minutes before baking (but don’t let it thaw). Preheat oven to 425°. Place pies on baking sheet. Loosely cover the edges with foil. Bake for 30 minutes and then reduce heat to 350° and bake for an additional 70-80 minutes or until crust is golden brown and internal temp has reached 165°.
- Can add carrots if desired. (Carrots should be cooked with the potatoes)