We decided a little while back that we would not purchase anymore rabbits and just start growing out our own. That ended on Friday evening when the woman that we purchased our first rabbits from
We decided a little while back that we would not purchase anymore rabbits and just start growing out our own. That ended on Friday evening when the woman that we purchased our first rabbits from needed to get rid of some animals quickly. It was a crazy evening! We had just dropped my car off at the shop, we had to go back and pick it up so that we could haul the trailer. Then we loaded all of our kennels and headed out. Her farm is about an hour south of us. We ended up leaving with 6 chickens, 2 rabbits and two rabbit hutches.
Added 1 rooster and 5 hens to the chicken tractor. The chickens are from the same clutch as the ones that we already had out in the tractor. By time we got back from picking up the chickens it was dark out and the chickens in the tractor were all sleeping. They did not want to get up and move but we hadn’t done chores yet and needed to move the tractor. Kori got in the tractor with the chickens and pushed them to the new location while Brian pulled the tractor. When we went out to check on the chickens the next morning everyone had integrated well. We counted and we currently we have 87 chickens at Happy Hills. Also, our younger Delawares started laying eggs this week!
Gracie delivered 8 kits. It is her first litter so we are hoping that she takes care of them. We added Johnny (American buck) and June (American doe) to the rabbitry this week. When we picked up Johnny and June we also got two cages. One cage needs a little repair but nothing major. So far they are getting along just fine here! We bred Johnny and June the day after they arrived. We also bred Michelle with Ed and Rachel with Ralph. Rose has been playing with her hay every night since she got pregnant. Here is a video of Rose and her hay
Harvested 25 cucumbers, 28 serranos, 6 bell peppers, 1 onion, 14 chili de arbol, 18 ancho, 7 zucchini and 40 jalapenos. It was a big harvesting week for us! We had a buyer interested in cherry tomatoes this week so we actually weighed how many we harvested. We figure that we have been averaging right around 3lbs every other day.
Made 6 more quart sized jars of refrigerator pickles. The dehydrator came this week and we started dehydrating hot peppers to make seasonings and sauces. We are also dehydrating 9 trays of cucumbers. Can’t wait to try them! After getting Johnny and June this week, we decided that we should make name tags for them, along with Michelle and Margie, who we had yet to make name tags for. Now all of the breeding rabbits have name tags on their cages. This week our supplier was unable to get our wheat that we use for fodder. With the fodder rack empty, we decided to paint that as well!